Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Confused about David...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pajkub's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I think I may have glimpsed this topic here before, but I don't frequent this message board and I am mostly a lurker, so forgive me if this is a re-hash...

    Why does David have a Chinese surname, but we find out that his 'true' name is Japanese? Apparently Darcy was born in Hong Kong and David in L.A., so I'm just not understanding the Japanese connection (although Hong Kong is a pretty diverse place). Please don't tell me there's some kind of Yakuza connection--SiP already strains the bounds of believeability. Were you just confused Terry? Or is this all part of your master plan?

    --Lillian Magidow

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Darth Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2000
    Posts
    400
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There has been no statement on their family's history-Chinese or Japanese.
    Obviously one of the names is an assumed name. Which one, no one knows. However, I have read somewhere(either in an interview, letter column, or some TPB supplemental material) that Darcy and David are connected to the Yakuza. The Yakuza is *VERY* nationalistic(ie, they hate Chinese and Koreans...) so I would have to assume the last name Qin(which, is pronounced 'Chin' not 'Kin' as Terry has said--well, it's pronounced Chin in Chinese, maybe David pronounces it that way...*shrug*) is the assumed name.
    I speculated that maybe their father or grandfather assumed a Chinese name during WWII to avoid the internment camps and remain at large. That might be why David went by his Japanese name when he entered the crime world-being descended from a legendary gangster would have advantages.

    However, I think it's likely we can chalk the whole thing up to a wee bit of confusion on Terry's part, which is ok, given the problems I have seen in other books, this is pretty minor.

    Darth

    ------------------
    'There can be sex without love, love without sex, and situations so intermixed that nobody can sort out which is which.'
    -Lazarus Long, 'Time Enough for Love'-Robert Heinlein

  3. #3
    Inactive Member CrazyPierre's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey have some Oreos! biggrin

    Veronica once called David Yousaka after he killed someone in self-defence.
    Katchoo also called him Yousaka or something along that vein, I'm too lazy to walk the 5 feet to my bookcase wink

    Remember it was a big family thing too, Darcy, her brother David, his cousin Vernonica etc etc etc...

    For more info please read the Plane Crash issues 26-29 I believe, as well as I dream of You TPB


    ------------------

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pajkub's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:


    However, I think it's likely we can chalk the whole thing up to a wee bit of confusion on Terry's part, which is ok, given the problems I have seen in other books, this is pretty minor.

    Darth
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    My other, (and first) love is the comic Elfquest, and I am very active on the equest-l mailing list. Richard Pini (the co-creator) has stated that there are two rules about Elfquest:

    1. There are no inconsistencies in EQ
    2. If you find any inconsistencies, refer to rule #1 smile

    I'm thinking that perhaps these rules apply to SiP, no?

    --Lillian Magidow

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Thrasymachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2001
    Posts
    232
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The discrepancy is significant and it is not a mistake. It is a clue about the relationship between Darcy and David. Terry has made one or two mistakes, but only about minor characters such as Rosa Luisa.
    I agree about the xenophobia of the Yakuza. The Chinese Triads are equally xenophobic.

    ------------------
    Peregrinator in paradiso.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MirrorGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2001
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes davids entire name "reads" japanese, and i like how katchoo speaks nihongo (japanese) very funny and true if you know Yakuza. there are also possibility that david and sister have same father different mother no?
    might be possible, because of chinese man married japanese woman, happens alot. remember: all things are possible until fully clarified by the creator Terry Moore. and i also agree to ElfQuest
    (movie out in may2002)
    until proven by author, there are no inconsistensies, just small hints to the bigger truth, because no one knows the entire story precise meaning, only the creator knows.

    ------------------
    "I Don't Know How to Wake From This Life, Now it is Time to Dream my Eternal Death" - IrisMPowell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •